Happy belated 4th of July. For me, the time encapsulating our nation's holiday has offered me the rare opportunity to be in four different cities in four days, thanks to some circuitous planning from a vacation and family visiting standpoint. It's sort of a microcosm of my summer of travel.
Today was packing up and leaving one potential place I hope to be next year, San Diego, to come home to Phoenix via a six-hour car ride. Tomorrow it's flying back to Milwaukee to change out the necessary items for the next trip to Salt Lake City on Thursday - which ironically includes a pit stop in Phoenix to change planes (and for good measure, passing through Las Vegas next week on the way back to Milwaukee). Salt Lake City marks the continuation of this year's American Le Mans Series season after nearly a two-month break since the last race in Monterey at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
I've been very fortunate to have traveled a lot throughout the years, but in 2010 especially with my racing commitments that amount of traveling has intensified. This current period is the stretch of being in six different places in six consecutive weekends. Flying all becomes a bit routine, much like George Clooney's character in Up In the Air. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant or over-the-top, but just a nature of the work I have got involved with this year.
One of the things I've taken most from my college experience at Marquette, especially in the last two years, is always being on the go - and never satisfied with what I have and always looking to do better and keep my eye on the next potential challenge. Working in the ALMS this season with MichelinAlley.com has already opened my eyes more than I could have imagined.
This is when things really get crazy since the next four ALMS races are in seven weekends, after having three races in three months (not counting the 24 Hours of Le Mans) prior. And when the last of those four clicks off, it's back to school and starting senior year. It sounds weird to say now but with how fast time flies, it's going to get here quickly.
The 4th offers a great chance for reflection, and it also has the unintended consequence of signaling the second half of summer. Best to live it up and make the most of the opportunities provided.
Out for now, cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment