You know you're a nerd, or at least a writing nerd, when you feel the desire to blog on a Friday night. Either way, the night before race day for ALMS at Mid-Ohio, finally, this is something I remember.
Having been to Mid-Ohio last year, I knew what to expect in terms of the layout between the paddock and media center. Plus, as a joint ALMS/IndyCar weekend, there's a lot of familiarity with the drivers, crewmembers and media members - this is who I grew up with while now starting to forge an identity in the sports car world.
Although on that note, I am already so thankful for the relationships with the PR and media members in ALMS that I have met in the past and then am growing to know better this season with a full-season opportunity.
The last three races - Monterey, Utah and Lime Rock - were all first-time events for me. While there you're doing two sorts of learning. There's the continuing education of the job at hand but also how each track works, in terms of layout, media center, and traveling. So having Mid-Ohio and Road America, my home track, as the last two races I will be at before my senior year at Marquette starts drastically alleviates stress.
A shame then, that Saturday's race at Mid-Ohio will not include the Muscle Milk Team CytoSport Porsche RS Spyder, which had a massive accident on Thursday that damaged the tub beyond repair. It's one less contender for the overall win which, when the field of prototypes is still small, is a negative. Still, given the level of intensity that most of this year's races have had, it's not like the quality of racing has suffered. My only hope going into tomorrow is that the quality continues.
Out for now on a relatively early night. Cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment