Sunday, April 10, 2011

When insomnia strikes ...

Blame Pepsi Throwback for this one. Drinking a can of it has prompted a bout of insomnia that can only be cured by putting fingers to keyboard and offering a few random thoughts:

***

The first time I heard Charl Schwartzel's name, I thought it was an anagram or the physical spelling out of a person choking. Actually, it turns out the dude killed it on Sunday at The Masters with a couple hole-outs on the front nine and four birdies in his final four holes to take the green jacket. Add his name to the latest of one-hit wonders winning majors in golf. On another note, now Jim Nantz goes into hiding for a few months with the soundtrack from Augusta as finished as the college basketball season and with the NFL lockout threatening its season, possibly into the fall as well.

***

Are Brewers-Cubs outings baseball games or tailgates where they happen to have a number of people playing baseball thrown in for hangover entertainment? I'm more inclined to think the latter after going to two of the three games in the NL Central rivals' weekend series. And yes, I think there were far more cans of beer and dozens of brats consumed than innings played. Neither team's fans ever will win an award for class, but I'll give a slight edge to the home crowd's backers for slightly less and more playful vulgarities.

***

Senioritis doesn't yet have a prescription drug that any of the pharmaceutical companies can exploit. You know, like restless leg syndrome - the bastion of diseases and most common problem that people bring up at doctor's appointments.

But they should - I'm guessing I'm one of many second semester seniors who wouldn't mind coughing up a few bucks to discover a magic pill could force us to do our papers, study for tests and make group projects go away. When you have to worry about job-hunting and enjoying both your extracurricular and social activities away from the classroom, figuring out a solution to this as yet undiagnosed condition would be a task I would not mind seeing GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer and others take on.

***

Sebastian Vettel and Will Power are SCARY good. Moving on ...

***

Count me among those thrilled to see Newman/Haas back and moving up the grid again in IndyCar. Oriol Servia - very underrated - has a ninth and fifth (second in the non-Penske/Ganassi class today) to his credit already and at long last James Hinchcliffe finally has his full-season IndyCar ride (sans Brazil and Motegi, but alas.) "Hinch" was blindingly quick on debut and got his initiation to the series by getting Viso-ed ...

Additionally, it took four years, but the level of competition is as good as its been since unification, with the so-called "transition teams" (I hated that moniker) almost on level footing. The driver lineup (two or three drivers excepted) is stacked. Simon Pagenaud had a mega debut as well, finishing eighth in his first IndyCar start and first time in open-wheel since 2007.

***

Next week is chance two of the new ALMS TV deal, and sadly, the tape-delayed broadcast will air simultaneously as the IndyCar live broadcast from Long Beach. This was narrowly avoided today, not by much, but the supporting Rolex Sports Car Series race from Barber nearly pushed into the same timeslot as IndyCar today. And after this weekend, ALMS disappears altogether for 81 days until Lime Rock.

***

The notoriously fickle Wisconsin weather has given us in the last 24 hours: 55 and 80 degrees, sun, rain, tornado warnings, thunderstorms, and wind gusts approaching 70 mph. Needless to say I'm stoked out of my mind to be in Long Beach Thursday night and Phoenix the next week for the first time in nearly a year to catch up with the fam in my last pre-graduation jet-setting experience.

I should probably get to sleep. Cheers.

No comments: