Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Surreal start in the OC

I’ll admit a guilty pleasure in starting this brief post. I watched “The OC” with my three guy roommates for a semester during my junior year of college.

(Praying that doesn’t revoke my man card…)

At the outset, when Ryan shows up from Chino, he is welcomed with little fanfare and the rather rough line of, “Welcome to the OC, bitch.”

Reflecting a little more than a week after getting here, and a full week of work, I think I can say with confidence that my intro to this polar opposite of Milwaukee didn’t go off quite like that. In fact, far from it.

Within the week, it’s been a whirlwind of interviews, events, tasks and getting integrated into my new job. The fact I’ve been so busy has provided a nice deviation from the concern I might be missing home or family, purely on my own and going through life without anyone else for the moment.

Without going into too much more detail, other than this picture taken from the skies (teaser alert!) so far work’s been a helluva ride and — this might sound weird for a job — pretty damn fun. I hope it keeps up.

***

Some other thoughts …

My professional obligations might present some conflicts in revealing my full opinion following the Loudon IndyCar restart fiasco. So, simply, I think Brian Barnhart is the only person who could have even remotely thought the race should have restarted how it did. Everything that follows from here hurts more than it helps as a whole.

***

Football is back. YESSSS. I’m holding out some hope of getting tickets to the Packers-Chargers game in San Diego in November, but that seems remote at the moment.

***

Jersey Shore is back. NOOOO. This year, our batch of eight fine feathered and tan guidos, guidettes take their schtick and fist-pumping to the motherland. When this was announced in February, I was none too pleased. The odd thing is the show is like a train wreck, I hate it, but I can't take my eyes off it. Two episodes have set the scene for another season of more of the same drama. Same crap, different continent.

***

I don’t have to go back to college? There’s probably going to be a post about that in the near future. Hope all my former colleagues among those working at the Marquette Tribune this year go out and dominate.

***

More later, out for now. Cheers.

No comments: