Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday at Mid-Ohio

10:26 PM It was a largely uneventful day for me at the track. There wasn't much going on other than test sessions - the official Promoter Test Day - for ALMS, Atlantic, and SPEED World Challenge. A few people, mainly from those series, have showed up and the debate is on about the quality of the media center.

I fear for Mid-Ohio's new PR man that there may be anarchy with the photographers, who need more bandwidth and uploading room, yet have been exiled to single-wide trailers. The deadline room may get heated in more ways than one once the IndyCar media members truly show up in earnest (sure, some people know me but I'm definitely on the fringe just because I can't afford to go to enough races).

I'm looking at all opportunities for the future this weekend, mainly, in addition to my commitments for motorsport.com. Elsewhere I said hello to a few folks and had nice chats with Gerardo Bonilla - an excellent explainer of racing and here spotting this weekend for Andersen Racing in Indy Lights. Also, I lost track of time (I think it was over an hour) when talking with Lindy Thackston, who is one of the pit reporters for VERSUS' IndyCar coverage.

I'd not met her previously but she is wonderful in every sense of the word. She knows the scrutiny that comes with being a female pit reporter in an arena of male dominance, and she knows her stuff, and good. She is incredibly on the ball, very easy to talk to, and genuinely delighted to be there.

The track activity goes to another level tomorrow. Indy Lights doesn't even roll off until Saturday. Out for now, cheers.

No comments: