Because I’ve been doing so much writing for Motorsport.com and additionally a decent amount on the MichelinAlley.com blog, I’ve been rather knackered when it comes to updating the personal blog (the British I’ve met and/or reacquainted with here are wearing off on me).
There have been four monumentally cool moments since I blogged last. First, on Tuesday night, the track shut down in the evening to view Steve McQueen’s “Le Mans” on the circuit’s front straight, with chairs set out for the length of it. Seeing the start of this movie on the front straight can only be described as epic.
On Thursday, following the joint ACO/FIA press conference whereby the new World Endurance Championship was confirmed, I got to tour the Le Mans museum for a second time and it is just as worth it.
My dad arrived this evening as well—and getting the chance to see him here when he has never previously been to Europe, much less this race, is a personal highlight that will be difficult to eclipse.
Finally, there was the Mazda rotary engine starting up in advance of it running on track 20 years after winning here overall. I didn’t see Patrick Dempsey when he arrived but did see Johnny Herbert, who will run the car for a demonstration run on Saturday before the race.
There have been so many more highlights — even had run-ins with Ben Collins, the former “Stig” on “Top Gear,” along with NASCAR star and commentator Michael Waltrip in the paddock. Today’s been a heavily-packed news day so much so it has been difficult to keep up with everything.
And that didn’t even include the final two hours of qualifying yet! It’s already gone way too fast.
Out for now, cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment